Strategic Patent Filing
Optimus has extensive experience of patent drafting and filing, gained both in industry and private practice. Our services guide a client from the initial decision-making process of whether or not to seek patent protection, through comprehensive and skilled drafting of the patent specification, to efficient and appropriate patent prosecution. We ensure that our clients secure the maximum protection possible at the earliest opportunity.
Bespoke Patent Strategy Services for Industry
In addition to providing specialist Patent drafting and prosecution services, Optimus Patents also provides bespoke data management, docketing and formalities services for our clients. Our world-class formalities team has over 50 years of post-CIPA and ITMA qualified experience, in both industry and private practice. Our formalities team services include: audits of a client’s patent portfolio, process mapping, procedure updates, development of custom-made toolkits, etc. In addition, our team is able to provide Intellectual Property (IP) paralegal support and portfolio administration services for Optimus’ clients, based on our hands-on knowledge of numerous patent databases. Working with the Optimus Attorney team, we have implemented European, UK and PCT formality procedures across our varied client base. We can readily provide remote or on-site services for those of our clients without internal expertise, or provide temporary/interim support to in-house formalities teams, as our flexible and scalable services range from the administration of complete IP portfolios on behalf of clients to one-off administrative support projects. Thus, our team provides a ‘one stop’ outsourcing model.
Strategic Portfolio Management
Strategic Portfolio Management involves:
- Identifying those patents at the core of a client’s current and future business
- Developing the core patent family
- Recognising and developing growth areas
- Identifying competitors’ core patents and circumventing these through Intellectual Property (IP)
- Understanding a patent portfolio’s strengths and weaknesses for optimal licence negotiation
Strategic observation involves setting up a tailored observation and analysis program to provide an insight into competitor technology and patent filing activity. It is invaluable to know, for example:
- The patent applications filed in particular technologies by competitors
- The countries in which those applications have been filed
- Whether any opportunities exist to oppose those patent applications
- The ‘shape’ of competitors’ patent portfolios
- Whether competitors might be infringing any of your patents
Optimus can advise on sophisticated risk analysis and competitor activity profiling, helping clients to secure a commercial advantage.
Tony Wray (Director) for an initial, obligation-free consultation to discuss your requirements.